Thursday, October 14, 2010

Thinking Inking Week 2, Technique: Block Stamping.

I have been taking an online 8 week class at 2 peas in a Bucket, learning techniques for stamping art. Each week there is a video and 3 new techniques, along with a challenge using what You've learned.
and this week, one if the projects are block stamping. "What is Block Stamping?" you say; That is where you ink up an acrylic block(used for acrylic peelable stamps and cling rubbers) instead of a stamp, and use it as a lovely background, instead of a layer of patterned or regular paper.
How do you do it? Watch Jennifer Mcguires video HERE

Card #1
Merry Christmas Deer

this is my first take on the class using block stamping.
1. I inked my Acrylic block with Peeled Paint distress ink, and pressed it on white cardstock,
2. I cut out the image created by the block and distressed the edge of my piece with walnut stain distress ink.
3. Then I inked the Hero Arts design block stencil(s5032) with Versa mark and pressed on top of my inked piece from step 1, giving it a subtle background. I stamped my saying (Hero Arts Holiday Sayings cl343)in black,
4. I took a piece of shimmery red cardstock and took a corner punch to one edge, and adhered all my pieces together, and added some red gems.
The deer was already done from the first class I took, but I'll go ahead and write how I did it.
The Deer was stamped in black dye ink onto a piece of white cardstock,
and distressed with vintaged photo distress ink, and stamped over with Hero Arts Lace Background again in Vintage photo, for his eye and nose I added glossy accents. I set it aside to dry and adhered it to my piece.

Card #2
Seasons Greetings

I followed step one and 2  from the first card. and instead of distressing the edges, I added a piece of patterned paper and cut it to fit the block design, distressing it's edges with walnut stain
2. I punched out a border with a Martha Stewart Punch and adhered and my patterned piece them the block image.
3. I stamped a tree (Hero Arts ar147) in the same pealed paint as I use for inking the block and inked the Hero Arts Old letter writing (s4878) also in versa mark,  and stamped over my tree, creating another subtle background. and stamped my sentiment in black (cl343)
4. I used a piece of kraft paper for my base, but it was the wrong color so I inked it with Tea Dye distress ink to make it a darker color. Then stamped snowflakes repeatedly in white around the base.
5 for the finishing touch I Ahered everything together and uploaded both cards 8~)

No comments: